Re: PROPOSAL: Extend inline asm syntax with size spec

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> [...]
>
> Right.  The manual says:
>
> """
> Some targets require that GCC track the size of each instruction used
> in order to generate correct code.  Because the final length of the
> code produced by an @code{asm} statement is only known by the
> assembler, GCC must make an estimate as to how big it will be.  It
> does this by counting the number of instructions in the pattern of the
> @code{asm} and multiplying that by the length of the longest
> instruction supported by that processor.  (When working out the number
> of instructions, it assumes that any occurrence of a newline or of
> whatever statement separator character is supported by the assembler --
> typically @samp{;} --- indicates the end of an instruction.)
>
> Normally, GCC's estimate is adequate to ensure that correct
> code is generated, but it is possible to confuse the compiler if you use
> pseudo instructions or assembler macros that expand into multiple real
> instructions, or if you use assembler directives that expand to more
> space in the object file than is needed for a single instruction.
> If this happens then the assembler may produce a diagnostic saying that
> a label is unreachable.
> """
>
> It *is* necessary for correctness, except you can do things that can
> confuse the compiler and then you are on your own anyway.
>
> > > So I guess the real issue is that the inline asm size estimate for x86
> > > isn't very good (since it has to be pessimistic, and x86 insns can be
> > > huge)?
> >
> > No, see above, even if we were to improve the size estimates (e.g. based
> > on some average instruction size) the kernel examples would still be off
> > because they switch sections back and forth, use asm macros and computed
> > .fill directives and maybe further stuff.  GCC will never be able to
> > accurately calculate these sizes
>
> What *is* such a size, anyway?  If it can be spread over multiple sections
> (some of which support section merging), and you can have huge alignments,
> etc.  What is needed here is not knowing the maximum size of the binary
> output (however you want to define that), but some way for the compiler
> to understand how bad it is to inline some assembler.  Maybe manual
> direction, maybe just the current jeuristics can be tweaked a bit, maybe
> we need to invent some attribute or two.
>
> > (without an built-in assembler which hopefully noone proposes).
>
> Not me, that's for sure.
>
> > So, there is a case for extending the inline-asm facility to say
> > "size is complicated here, assume this for inline decisions".
>
> Yeah, that's an option.  It may be too complicated though, or just not
> useful in its generality, so that everyone will use "1" (or "1 normal
> size instruction"), and then we are better off just making something
> for _that_ (or making it the default).

> > > What would the semantics of this be?
> >
> > The size of the inline asm wouldn't be counted towards the inliner size

Yes, I also like it for simplicity.  It also avoids the requirement
of translating the number (in bytes?) given by the user to
"number of GIMPLE instructions" as needed by the inliner.

> > > I don't like 2) either.  But 1) looks interesting, depends what its
> > > semantics would be?  "Don't count this insn's size for inlining decisions",
> > > maybe?
> >
> > TBH, I like the inline asm (...) suggestion most currently, but what if we
> > want to add more attributes to asms?  We could add further special
> > keywords to the clobber list:
> >   asm ("...." : : : "cc,memory,inline");
> > sure, it might seem strange to "clobber" inline, but if we reinterpret the
> > clobber list as arbitrary set of attributes for this asm, it'd be fine.
>
> All of a targets register names and alternative register names are
> allowed in the clobber list.  Will that never conflict with an attribute
> name?  We already *have* syntax for specifying attributes on an asm (on
> *any* statement even), so mixing these two things has no advantage.

Heh, but I failed to make an example with attribute synatx working.
IIRC attributes do not work on stmts.  What could work is to use
a #pragma though.

Richard.