Re: [RFC] Adding Python as a possible language and it's usage

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 12:54:36PM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:

> > On Jul 20, 2018, at 12:37 PM, Segher Boessenkool <segher@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 11:49:05AM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
> >> Fully agree with that. Coming up with a new scripts written in python2 really
> >> makes no sense.
> >
> > Then python cannot be a build requirement for GCC, since some of our
> > primary targets do not ship python3.
>
> Is it required that GCC must build with only the stock support elements on the primary target platforms?

Not that I know.  But why should we make it hugely harder for essentially
no benefit?

All the arguments against awk were arguments against *the current scripts*.

And yes, we can (and perhaps should) rewrite those build scripts as C code,
just like all the other gen* we have.

> Or is it allowed to require installing prerequisites?  Yes, some platforms are so far behind they still don't ship Python 3, but installing it is straightforward.

Installing it is not straightforward at all.

Segher