This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
ChangeLog's: do we have to?
- From: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh at redhat dot com>
- To: GCC Mailing List <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 03:47:26 -0400
- Subject: ChangeLog's: do we have to?
After 20 years of hacking on GCC I feel like I have literally wasted
days of my life typing out ChangeLog entries that could have easily been
generated programmatically.
Can someone refresh my memory here, what are the remaining arguments for
requiring ChangeLog entries?
I vaguely recall Jakub (or Alex Oliva??) mentioning that they were
desired for releases. If this is the case, may I volunteer to write the
necessary scripts to generate these automatically?
It would be nice if we could have meaningful commit messages explaining
why we are doing things, and any list of changed files be generated on
the fly.
Sorry, I'm getting old, and would hate to spend any meaningful remaining
time typing things that a computer can do for me.
Aldy