Re: Project Ranger

On 05/30/2018 03:41 AM, Eric Botcazou wrote:
The Ranger is far enough along now that we have confidence in both its
approach and ability to perform, and would like to solicit feedback on
what you think of it,  any questions, possible uses,  as well as
potential requirements to integrate with trunk later this stage.
The PDF document mentions that you first intended to support symbolic ranges
but eventually dropped them as "too complex, and ultimately not necessary".

I don't entirely disagree with the former part, but I'm curious about the
latter part: how do you intent to deal in the long term with cases that do
require symbolic information to optimize things?  The TODO page seems to
acknowledge the loophole but only mentions a plan to deal with equivalences,
which is not sufficient in the general case (as acknowledged too on the page).

First, we'll collect the cases that demonstrate a unique situation we care about.  I have 4 very specific case that show current shortcomings.. Not just with the Ranger, but a couple we don't handle with VRP today. .. I'll eventually get those put onto the wiki so the list can be updated.

I think most of these cases that care about symbolics are not so much range related, but rather an algorithmic layer on top. Any follow on optimization to either enhance or replace vrp or anything similar will simply use the ranger as a client.  If it turns out there are cases where we *have* to remember the end point of a range as a symbolic, then the algorithm to track that symbolic along with the range, and request a re-evaluation of the range when the value of that symbolic is changes.

Thats the high-level view.  I'm not convinced the symbolic has to be in the range in order to solve problems for 2 reasons:

 1)  The Ranger maintains some definition chains internally and has a clear idea of what ssa_names can affect the outcome of a range. It tracks all these dependencies on a per-bb basis in the gori-map structure as imports and exports. .  The iterative approach I mentioned in the document would use this info to decide that ranges in a block need to be re-evaluated because an input to this block has changed.  This is similar to the way VRP and other passes iterate until nothing changes.  If we get a better range for an ssa_name than we had before, push it on the stack to look for potential re-evaluation, and keep going.

ThIs is what I referred to as the Level 4 ranger in the document. I kind of glossed over it because I didn't want to get into the full-blown design I originally had, nor to rework it based on the current incarnation of the Ranger.  I wanted to primarily focus on what we currently have that is working so we can move forward with it.

I don't think we need to track the symbolic name in the range because the Ranger tracks these dependencies for each ssa-name and can indicate when we may need to reevaluate them.  There is an exported routine from the block ranger :
      tree single_import (tree name);
If there is a sole import, it will return the ssa-name that NAME is dependent on that can affect the range of  NAME.   We added that API so Aldy's new threading code could utilizes this ability to a small degree..

Bottom line: The ranger has information that a pass can use to decide that a range could benefit from being reevaluated. This identifies any symbolic component of a range from that block.

 2) This entire approach is modeled on walking the IL to evaluate a range.  If we put symbolics and expressions in the range, we are really duplicating information that is already in the IL, and have to make a choice of exactly what and how we do it..
BB3:
   j_1 = q_6 / 2
   i_2 = j_1 + 3
   if ( i_2 < k_4)

we could store the range of k_4 as [i_2 + 1, MAX]  (which seems the obvious one)
we could also store it as [j_1 + 4, MAX]
or even [q_6 / 2 + 4, MAX].  But we have to decide in advance, and we have extra work to do if it turns out to be one of the other names we ended up wanting..

At some point later on we decide we either don't know anything about i_2 (or j_1, or q_6), or we have found a range for it, and now need to take that value and evaluate the expression stashed in the range in order to get the final result.   Note that whatever algorithm is doing this must also keep track of this range somehow in order to use it later.

With the Ranger model, the same algorithm gets a range, and if it thinks it might need to be re-evaluated for whatever reason can just track the an extra bit of info (like i_2 for instance) along side the range (rather than in it).  If we thinks the range needs to be re-evaluated , it can simply request a new range from the ranger.

You also don't have to decide whether to track the range with i_2 or j_1 (or even q_6). The Ranger can tell you that the range it gives you for k_4 is accurate unless you get a new value for q_6. That is really what you want to track.  You might later want to reevaluate the range only if q_6 changes.  If it doesn't, you are done.  .

Bottom line:The ranger indicates what the symbolic aspect of the range is with the import. The net effect is the symbolic expression using that import is also the longest possible expression in the block available...  it just picks it up from the IL rather than storing it in the range.

I would also note that we track multiple imports, they just aren't really exposed as yet since they aren't really being used by anyone.  k_4 is also tagged as an import to that block, and if you ask for the range of i_2, you'd get a range, and  k_4 would be listed as the import.

Also note more complexity is available.  Once we hit statements with multiple ssa_names, we stop tracking currently, but we do note the imports at that point:
BB4:
  z_4 = a_3 + c_2
  z_5 = z_4 + 3
  if (  q_8 < z_5)
we can get a range for q_8, and the ranger does know that a_3 and c_2 are both imports to defining z_5.  By using the import information, we effectively get a "symbolic" range of
[MIN, a_3 + c_2 + 3] for q_8 in this case.

Which means I think the import approach of the Ranger has the benefit of being simpler in many ways,  yet more powerful should we wish to explore that route.

The one place this falls down is if you get a range back from a call and you have no idea where it came from, but want to be able to re-evaluate it later. .  I am not sure what this use case looks like (if it exists :-), but I would be surprised if it wasn't something that could be handled with an algorithm changed.  I know if discussions with Aldy and Jeff as we went through various use cases, this model does sometimes require a bit of rethinking of how you approach using the information since a lot of things we're use to worrying about just happen under the covers.

Does that help?   If it does, I'll add this to the coverage in the wiki page.

Andrew