This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Enabling -ftree-slp-vectorize on -O2/Os


On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 11:32:29AM +0200, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> I brought this subject up earlier, and was told to suggest it again for gcc 9, 
> so I have attached the preliminary changes.
> 
> My studies have show that with generic x86-64 optimization it reduces binary 
> size with around 0.5%, and when optimizing for x64 targets with SSE4 or 
> better, it reduces binary size by 2-3% on average. The performance changes are 
> negligible however*, and I haven't been able to detect changes in compile time 
> big enough to penetrate general noise on my platform, but perhaps someone has 
> a better setup for that?
> 
> * I believe that is because it currently works best on non-optimized code, it 
> is better at big basic blocks doing all kinds of things than tightly written 
> inner loops.
> 
> Anythhing else I should test or report?

What does it do on other architectures?


Segher


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]