This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Should CET be enabled by default in GCC8
- From: Uros Bizjak <ubizjak at gmail dot com>
- To: GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Cc: Richard Guenther <rguenther at suse dot de>, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, "H. J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, "Tsimbalist, Igor V" <igor dot v dot tsimbalist at intel dot com>
- Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 12:24:01 +0200
- Subject: Should CET be enabled by default in GCC8
Currently, CET is enabled by default for linux if target supports
multi-byte NOPs and if assembler supports CET insn. Effectively, with
newer binutils, CET support is an opt-out feature.
I don't think this should be the case, and I propose to consider CET
as an opt-in feature. Multi-byte NOPs have non-zero cost (at least
they increase the binary). If someone wants to enable the feature, it
can be done in less surprising way to --enable-cet during configure
I'd like to hear the opinion of RMs, if CET should remain to be an
opt-out feature by default?