Re: Further for GSoC.

Hello, Tejas,

On Fri, Mar 02 2018, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2018, Tejas Joshi wrote:
>
>> I have some university level experience of working and programming assembly
>> language under Intel 80386DX architecture. I think it may help for
>> implementing supports for other architectures. Just for start, you
>> mentioned roundeven function as a guide for start. Where can I find these
>> (e.g. real.c) .c files for detailed study of these functions so that I can
>> have broader scenario? I have GCC 7.2.0 installed and could not find it in
>> library nor in libc/.
>
> You need to check out the GCC source code from version control and find
> the files and functions referenced in there (locating pieces of GCC code
> using find, grep, etc. on the GCC source tree is something you'll need to
> do a lot), and make sure you can build GCC, run the testsuite, save
> results from a testsuite run, build and run the testsuite and compare the
> results of the two runs (this is something that would need doing very many
> times in the course of any project working on GCC).

You might have figured this out already but just in case something is
not clear:

  1. How to check out our sources using svn and git is described at
    https://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html and https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GitMirror
    respectively, and

  2. perhaps more importantly, how to configure, build and test GCC is
    described in steps linked from https://gcc.gnu.org/install/ (look
    for --disable-bootstrap, among other things).

If you have any specific question regarding any of these steps, feel
free to ask on the mailing list or the IRC.

Good luck,

Martin