Re: How big (and fast) is going to be GCC 8?

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Martin Liška <mliska@suse.cz> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Many significant changes has landed in mainline and will be released as GCC 8.1.
> I decided to use various GCC configs we have and test how there configuration differ
> in size and also binary size.
>
> This is first part where I measured binary size, speed comparison will follow.
> Configuration names should be self-explaining, the 'system-*' is built done
> without bootstrap with my system compiler (GCC 7.3.0). All builds are done
> on my Intel Haswell machine.

So from the numbers I see that bootstrap causes a 8% bigger binary compared
to non-bootstrap using GCC 7.3 at -O2 when including debug info and 1.2%
larger stripped.  That means trunk generates larger code.

What is missing is a speed comparison of the various binaries -- you could
try measuring this by doing a make all-gcc for a non-bootstrap config
(so it uses -O2 -g and doesn't build target libs with the built compiler).

Richard.