A "newbies" guide to hacking on GCC (and plugins)

I'm a relative newcomer to GCC [1], so I thought it would be a good
idea to try to capture some of the "gotchas" and similar information on
hacking on GCC in the form of a short guide for new contributors,
whilst the experience of learning it is still fresh in my mind.

The guide can be read here:
https://dmalcolm.fedorapeople.org/gcc/newbies-guide/index.html

I've mostly tried to cover specific things I ran into that caused me
difficulty, so it may be eclectic.

(All opinions are my own)

I hope that this is useful.

Dave

[1] did we miss GCC's 30th anniversary?
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/History  says the first release was 1987-03
-22.   As for myself, Thursday appears to be the 6th anniversary of me
starting the gcc-python-plugin and hence on poking at GCC's internals -
I'm not sure if 6 years means I still count as a newcomer, but 30 years
is geological epochs in software terms :)