TLS run-time requirements on x86, etc.

Hi

I am looking at the RTEMS x86 TLS support. When -fPIC is
specified, gcc generates calls to ___tls_get_addr(). But
when it is not specified, there are no external calls.
To make sure we are doing the right thing, I have a
few questions:

+ What is expected for "get TLS" when __tls_get_addr()
is not called?

+ Can we force all RTEMS i386 gcc configurations to make the
function call to __tls_get_addr()? We have an implementation
of it for ARM so it would be the same. So this would
be a simple solution for us.

+ Is there any reference material to show what is expected
for each architecture? I think the MIPS generates an illegal
instruction and you end up doing TLS in there. It would be
easier if we could configure gcc to make subroutine calls
to __tls_get_addr() instead generically?

Anything else about TLS and run-time requirements we
should know?