Re: [gimplefe] [gsoc16] Gimple Front End Project

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016, Richard Biener wrote:

> So I am most worried about replicating all the complexity of types and
> decl parsing for the presumably nice and small function body parser.
>
> In private discussion we somewhat agreed (Micha - correct me ;)) that
> iff the GIMPLE FE would replace the C FE function body parsing
> completely (re-using name lookup infrastructure of course) and iff the
> GIMPLE FE would emit GIMPLE directly (just NULL DECL_SAVED_TREE and a
> GIMPLE seq in DECL_STRUCT_FUNCTION->gimple_body) then "re-using" the C
> FE would be a way to greatly speed up success.

Yeah, that's a fair characterization of our discussion.  What I'm most
worried about with mixing C and gimple parsing are several things:
* silently accepting C-like code that actually isn't supposed to be
  gimple, i.e. I fear we muddle the water by attaching something to an
  existing large blob without a very clear separation
* uglifying the C parser so much that the changes become unacceptable
* Parsing gimple, but going though GENERIC; I want to directly create
  GIMPLE

Separating the type/decl parsing and function body parsing would help with
all three things, and will give you a working type parser without actually
copying code around, so that's a plus.

(Of course, putting it into an existing front-end might also be less fun
than writing one from scratch, but that's not my main point :) ).

> The other half of the project would then be to change the pass manager
> to do something sensible with the produced GIMPLE as well as making our
> dumps parseable by the GIMPLE FE.

Definitely the dumping part needs to be developed somewhat in lock-step
with the parser; the pass manager infrastructure should be started
somewhat halfway into the project, yes.

Ciao,
Michael.