Re: GCC GSOC 2016

On 3 March 2016 at 13:23, Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/03/16 13:13, Pedro Alves wrote:
>> On 03/03/2016 10:32 AM, Manuel LÃpez-IbÃÃez wrote:
>>> * Revive the gdb compile project
>>> (https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/GCCCompileAndExecute), which seems dead.
>>
>> This one's very much alive, actually.  I've added a few folks who are
>> working on it (Keith, Alex, Phil), who could perhaps fill us in on
>> status.  It'd be great if more people got engaged in the project,
>> of course!
>
> As Pedro notes, the project is very much alive and active. Mea Culpa
> on the wiki, we'll do better on that.

Apologies, I haven't seen any further discussion here or gdb-patches,
and no updates to libcc1 in a long time, so I wrongly assumed it was
stuck in the C++ issues discussed last time (e.g., trying to
work-around the non-modularity of the C++ FE instead of fixing the C++
FE directly). Interfacing with GDB could help GCC a lot to become more
modular (like libgccjit is already doing).

Also, having a list of the C++ issues you are facing (perhaps in
either wiki) may motivate people to help or at least provide ideas
that are likely to be accepted in trunk.

> Also, as Pedro notes, there are just three of us working on the GDB
> and GCC side; help, hacking and advice would be most welcome and we'd
> be happy to help anyone out getting started.

Perhaps adding a few "mini-projects" to
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode that you will be willing to
mentor would attract some help (even non-GSoC).

Cheers,

Manuel.