Re: increase alignment of global structs in increase_alignment pass

On 22 February 2016 at 17:36, Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016, Prathamesh Kulkarni wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>> As discussed in private mail, this version of patch attempts to
>> increase alignment
>> of global struct decl if it contains an an array field(s) and array's
>> offset is a multiple of the alignment of vector type corresponding to
>> it's scalar type and recursively checks for nested structs.
>> eg:
>> static struct
>> {
>>   int a, b, c, d;
>>   int k[4];
>>   float f[10];
>> };
>> k is a candidate array since it's offset is 16 and alignment of
>> "vector (4) int" is 8.
>> Similarly for f.
>>
>> I haven't been able to create a test-case where there are
>> multiple candidate arrays and vector alignment of arrays are different.
>> I suppose in this case we will have to increase alignment
>> of the struct by the max alignment ?
>> eg:
>> static struct
>> {
>>   <fields>
>>   T1 k[S1]
>>   <fields>
>>   T2 f[S2]
>>   <fields>
>> };
>>
>> if V1 is vector type corresponding to T1, and V2 corresponding vector
>> type to T2,
>> offset (k) % align(V1) == 0 and offset (f) % align(V2) == 0
>> and align (V1) > align(V2) then we will increase alignment of struct
>> by align(V1).
>>
>> Testing showed FAIL for g++.dg/torture/pr31863.C due to program timeout.
>> Initially it appeared to me, it went in infinite loop. However
>> on second thoughts I think it's probably not an infinite loop, rather
>> taking (extraordinarily) large amount of time
>> to compile the test-case with the patch.
>> The test-case  builds quickly for only 2 instantiations of ClassSpec
>> (ClassSpec<Key, A001, 1>,
>>  ClassSpec<Key, A002, 2>)
>> Building with 22 instantiations (upto ClassSpec<Key, A0023, 22>) takes up
>> to ~1m to compile.
>> with:
>> 23  instantiations: ~2m
>> 24 instantiations: ~5m
>> For 30 instantiations I terminated cc1plus after 13m (by SIGKILL).
>>
>> I guess it shouldn't go in an infinite loop because:
>> a) structs cannot have circular references.
>> b) works for lower number of instantiations
>> However I have no sound evidence that it cannot be in infinite loop.
>> I don't understand why a decl node is getting visited more than once
>> for that test-case.
>>
>> Using a hash_map to store alignments of decl's so that decl node gets visited
>> only once prevents the issue.
>
> Maybe aliases.  Try not walking vnode->alias == true vars.
Hi,
I have a hypothesis why decl node gets visited multiple times.

Consider the test-case:
template <typename T, unsigned N>
struct X
{
  T a;
  virtual int foo() { return N; }
};

typedef struct X<int, 1> x_1;
typedef struct X<int ,2> x_2;

static x_1 obj1 __attribute__((used));
static x_2 obj2 __attribute__((used));

Two additional structs are created by C++FE, c++filt shows:
_ZTI1XIiLj1EE -> typeinfo for X<int, 1u>
_ZTI1XIiLj2EE -> typeinfo for X<int, 2u>

Both of these structs have only one field D.2991 and it appears it's
*shared* between them:
 struct  D.2991;
    const void * D.2980;
    const char * D.2981;

Hence the decl node D.2991 and it's fields (D.2890, D.2981) get visited twice:
once when walking _ZTI1XIiLj1EE and 2nd time when walking _ZTI1XIiLj2EE

Dump of walking over the global structs for above test-case:
http://pastebin.com/R5SABW0c

So it appears to me to me a DAG (interior node == struct decl, leaf ==
non-struct field,
edge from node1 -> node2 if node2 is field of node1) is getting
created when struct decl
is a type-info object.

I am not really clear on how we should proceed:
a) Keep using hash_map to store alignments so that every decl gets
visited only once.
b) Skip walking artificial record decls.
I am not sure if skipping all artificial struct decls would be a good
idea, but I don't
think it's possible to identify if a struct-decl is typeinfo struct at
middle-end ?

Thanks,
Prathamesh