This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
How to allocate memory safely in RTL, preferably on the stack? (relating to the RTL-level if-converter)
- From: Abe <abe_skolnik at yahoo dot com>
- To: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Cc: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 13:05:35 -0500
- Subject: How to allocate memory safely in RTL, preferably on the stack? (relating to the RTL-level if-converter)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
Dear all,
I have started working on adding more optimization ability to the RTL-level if-converter,
which is separate work from my recent work on a new GIMPLE-level if-converter.
Although these two projects are separate, the basic idea is the same:
to enable if-conversion of code that is presently not convertible due to the fact
that there may be e.g. a null pointer, by using the address of a scratchpad
as the address for the load/store when the condition in the "if" is false.
In order to be able to implement this idea for stores, I think I need to make some changes
to the RTL if-converter such that it will sometimes add -- to the code being compiled --
a new slot/variable in the stack frame. This memory needs to be addressable via a pointer
in the code being generated, so AFAIK just allocating a new pseudo-register won`t work
and AFAIK using an RTL "scratch" register also won`t work. I also want to do my best to
ensure that this memory is thread-local. For those reasons, I`m asking about the stack.
If anybody reading this would help me to understand how to allocate
memory safely at the RTL level, I`d appreciate it very much.
Of course, if I`m on the wrong track entirely, I`d also appreciate feedback about that.
Regards,
Abe