This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Adding static-PIE support to binutils
- From: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- To: Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>
- Cc: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:55:19 -0700
- Subject: Re: Adding static-PIE support to binutils
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150624041847 dot GA26414 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <CAMe9rOoQCDXZK_LTCt81+WvtBLsnNbGDR10_aKe4s8D+-3Ehng at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150818024256 dot GF32742 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <20150818034443 dot GH32742 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <CAMe9rOqZmc9K_bEKqWZ6tkTE66OegyE0JMRef1xEf32hWCPPSg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150818160855 dot GK32742 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <CAMe9rOorDaT1YEf=FrGMnyZgOmAGwrBpTEMZtYROCXG=ioSLvQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150819005842 dot GN32742 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <20150819040011 dot GE20393 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAJimCsHW+WCdE8a8Tzjwe25MBCWpdznsH-mnMCAxQ0kMAR0avg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150819043834 dot GR32742 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx>
> Does static pie (ET_DYN with non-fixed load address, _DYNAMIC
> relocations, but no PT_INTERP, DT_NEEDEDs, or symbolic relocations)
> currently work with gold? If so, what is the way to request it? I
> would say it would make sense to try to do things the same, but from
> what you're saying it sounds like gold already significantly
> mismatches the bfd linker behavior...?
No, currently we reject -static and -pie when used together. But it
could be supported.
I don't think the differences are that significant in practice. In
common usage, gold and Gnu ld end up doing the same thing.