This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] PR rtl-optimization/67029: gcc-5.2.0 unable to find a register to spill with O3 fsched-pressure fschedule-insns
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at libertysurf dot fr>, Steven Bosscher <steven at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Richard Sandiford <richard dot sandiford at arm dot com>, Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>, Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov at redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 11:38:33 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PR rtl-optimization/67029: gcc-5.2.0 unable to find a register to spill with O3 fsched-pressure fschedule-insns
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150805202420 dot GA26298 at intel dot com> <87r3ngp9es dot fsf at googlemail dot com>
On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Richard Sandiford
> "H.J. Lu" <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
>> Since ira_implicitly_set_insn_hard_regs may be called outside of
>> ira-lives.c, it can't use the local variable, preferred_alternatives.
>> This patch adds an alternative_mask argument to
>> OK for master and 5 branch if there are no regressions on Linux/x86-64?
> Thanks for working on this. The patch looks good to me FWIW.
> I think this version is safer than the second one you posted. With that
> version we could end up with the same sort of bug, e.g. because a function
> passes false to extract_insn without realising that one of the functions
> that it calls later needs the preferred alternatives to be set.
> Or maybe (as with my patch) a function starts to use preferred_alternatives
> and one of its callers gets missed.
> Sorry for the breakage.
I think local variable preferred_alternatives in ira-lives.c is problematic
by itself. It is easy to become stale. recog_data_d is the natural place
for it. But as you pointed out, it has its own problem. I don't know if we
should always call get_preferred_alternatives to initialize it even if
it isn't used. Or we can make preferred_alternatives a pointer in
recog_data_d. If it isn't initialized, you will get a segfault when you
use it. This one indirection. This is just my observation. I will do whatever