This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |
| Other format: | [Raw text] | |
On 20 May 23:27, Vladimir Makarov wrote: > > > On 20/05/15 04:17 AM, Ilya Enkovich wrote: > >On 19 May 11:22, Vladimir Makarov wrote: > >>On 05/18/2015 08:13 AM, Ilya Enkovich wrote: > >>>2015-05-06 17:18 GMT+03:00 Ilya Enkovich <enkovich.gnu@gmail.com>: > >>>Hi Vladimir, > >>> > >>>Could you please comment on this? > >>> > >>> > >>Ilya, I think that the idea is worth to try but results might be > >>mixed. It is hard to say until you actually try it (as example, Jan > >>implemented -fpmath=both and it looks a pretty good idea at least > >>for me but when I checked SPEC2000 the results were not so good even > >>with IRA/LRA). > >> > >>Long ago I did some experiments and found that spilling into SSE > >>would benefitial for Intel CPUs but not for AMD ones. As I remember > >>I also found that storing several scalar values into one SSE reg and > >>extracting it when you need to do some (fp) arithmetics would > >>benefitial for AMD but not for Intel CPUs. In literature more > >>general approach is called bitwise register allocator. Actually it > >>would be a pretty big IRA/LRA project from which some targets might > >>benefit. > >I suspect such things are not trivially done in IRA/LRA and want to make it as an independent optimization because its application seems to be quite narrow. > Yes, that is true. The complications and implementation complexity > will be probably very high in this project and the positive results > are not sure. So the project might have a small value. > >> > >>As for the wrong code, it is hard for me to say anything w/o RA > >>dumps. If you send me the dump (-fira-verbose=16), i might say more > >>what is going on. > >> > >> > >Here are some dumps from my reproducer. The problematic register is r108. > > > Thanks. For me it looks like an inheritance bug. It is really hard > to fix the bug w/o the source code. Could you send me your patch in > order I can debug RA with it to investigate more. > Sure! Here is a patch and a testcase. I applied patch to r222125. Cmd to reproduce: gcc -m32 -msse4.2 -O2 pr65105.c -S -march=slm -fPIE Thanks, Ilya
Attachment:
pr65105.c
Description: Text document
Attachment:
pr65105.patch
Description: Text document
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |