Re: [gsoc2015] Is Gimple FE eligible for gsoc this year?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:09:28PM +0800, xue yinsong wrote:

> On 15/3/18 äå10:08, "Diego Novillo" <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 2:54 AM, xue yinsong <xyshh94225@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Somehow this project is not in the gsoc ideas list, and itâs been one year since the last commit(According to https://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/gimple-front-end/ChangeLog).
> >>
> >> Could someone tell me if this project is still active and eligible for this yearâs gsoc?
> >
> >I'm not sure. You'd have to find someone willing to mentor. There are
> >other cleanups necessary for this to be viable. Perhaps start with
> >those?
> >

> >Diego.
>
> Iâm glad to get started now.
> Could you please give me some specific directions to work on ?

I can't realistically offer more than to be a back up mentor for this
given my level of experience and available time.  That said here are my
thoughts on how to proceed on this project.  The first big use for the
gimple front end will be to be able to test specific bits of the
compiler with less interference from other parts.  If you can merge
something that will let some people write tests for their bugs /
features with less work then the natural tendancy will be to improve the
gimple front end.  So I think the first goal should be to merge
something that works in some cases and then work on fixing the cases it
can't be used in.  So first merge trunk into the gimple-front-end
branch.  Then get the gimple front end to create gimple and pass it down
to the optimizer.  Once that works I suspect you will be able to write
test cases for some bugs people are fixing for the gimple front end to
prove it can test things easily.  If you get to that point I think we
should look at merging the branch into main line and we can talk about
next steps.

thanks and good luck!

Trev