Re: organization of optimization options in manual

On 01/17/15 07:34, Gary Funck wrote:
On 01/14/15 23:15:59, Jeff Law wrote:
Sounds good.  I think just starting with the list & creating the buckets
with the list.  Then post here and we'll iterate and try to nail that down
before you start moving everything in the .texi file.

Something to consider, if the optimization options are re-worked:
Arrange the -O options such that -O1 can be described by a
distinct set of specific optimizations enabled (or disabled)
in addition to -O0, and -O2 would be described as a composite
of specific optimizations applied to -O1 and so on. (This
might require the addition of new optimization options.)
For -O1 to -O2 and -O2 to -O3, that makes sense. However, -O0 to -O1 isn't something we can do this for right now as there are still many things that -O1 turns on that are not flag controlled.

Whether or not to make all those bits individually controllable is a subject of debate. Personally, I think we have too many options, so my inclination would not be to make all those bits individually controllable. Others may have different opinions.

jeff