Re: Tags out of gcc

On 4 October 2014 21:07, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 October 2014 15:47, Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
>> The trivial one is that you build a plugin
>> (https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Plugins.html) and hook it at
>> PLUGIN_FINISH_DECL (and perhaps also at PLUGIN_FINISH_TYPE, not sure
>> about that). You can then run the plugin in the same command that
>> compiles your code.
>
> Does that hook get called for uninstantiated templates?
>
> A source browser should index C++ templates where they are defined,
> not only if they are used.

Maybe not, but it is a matter of adding more hooks, which seems easy enough.

In any case, the advice is the same: Join us and together we'll
conquer the galaxy, ah no, that's not it. It is: join GCC development
and propose changes that enable what you want to do.

Nonetheless, if I wanted to try this idea, I would start with the
hooks that are there already, thus I wouldn't even need to modify GCC.
Then, I would test whether the result is fast enough, and then think
about adding more hooks to catch anything that is missing.

Cheers,

Manuel.