Re: [GSoC] writing test-case

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Prathamesh Kulkarni
<bilbotheelffriend@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Richard Biener
> <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Prathamesh Kulkarni
>> <bilbotheelffriend@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks. Now I get it, the double backslash \\ is an escape sequence
>>> for \, and special characters like (, [
>>> retain their meaning in quotes, so to match input text: (D), the
>>> pattern has to be written as: "\\(D\\)".
>>> I believe "\(D\)" would only match D in the input ?
>>> I have modified the test-case. Is this version correct ?
>>
>> I usually verify that by running the testcase in isolation on a GCC version
>> that should FAIL it and on one that should PASS it (tcl quoting is also
>> try-and-error for me most of the time...).
>>
>> Thus I do
>>
>> gcc/> make check-gcc RUNTESTFLAGS="tree-ssa.exp=match-2.c"
>> <test should FAIL>
>> <patch source tree>
>> gcc/> make cc1
>> ... compiles cc1 ...
>> gcc/> make check-gcc RUNTESTFLAGS="tree-ssa.exp=match-2.c"
>> <test should PASS>
>>
>> A more complete matching for an SSA name would be (allowing
>> for SSA name versions > 9) _\\d\+ with \\(D\\) appended if
>> suitable (that's usually known from the testcase).  \\d\+ should match
>> at least one decimal digit.
> I thought that SSA name version wouldn't exceed 9 for that test-case,
> so I decided for matching only one digit. I will change it to match
> one or more digits.
>
> * I have written test-cases for patterns in match.pd (attached patch), which
> result in PASS. Could you review them for me ?
> I couldn't write for following ones:
>
> 1] Patterns involving COMPLEX_EXPR, REALPART_EXPR, IMAGPART_EXPR
> (match_and_simplify
>   (complex (realpart @0) (imagpart @0))
>   @0)
> (match_and_simplify
>   (realpart (complex @0 @1))
>   @0)
> (match_and_simplify
>   (imagpart (complex @0 @1))
>   @1)
>
> Sorry to be daft, but I couldn't understand what these patterns meant
> (I know complex numbers).
> Could you give an example that matches one of these patterns ?
> Thanks.

The existing match-1.c testcase has some ideas.  For the first
pattern I'd do

_Complex double foo (_Complex double z)
{
  double r = __real z;
  double i = __imag z;
  return r + 1.0iF * i;
}

where the return expression is folded (yeah ...) to a COMPLEX_EXPR.

For the other two patterns sth like

double foo (double r)
{
  _Complex double z = r;
  return __real z;
}

and

double foo (double i)
{
  _Complex double z = 1.0iF * i;
  return __imag z;
}

should work.

> 2] Test-case for FMA_EXPR. I am not sure how to generate FMA_EXPR from C code.
> (match_and_simplify
>   (fma INTEGER_CST_P@0 INTEGER_CST_P@1 @3)
>   (plus (mult @0 @1) @3))

I believe it's not possible.  FMA is matched by the optimize_widen_mult
pass which runs quite late, after the last forwprop pass.  So I don't think
it's possible to write a testcase that triggers with the existing compiler.

> 3] Test-case for COND_EXPR
> (match_and_simplify
>   (cond (bit_not @0) @1 @2)
>   (cond @0 @2 @1))
>
> I believe cond corresponds to C's ternary operator ?
> However c-expression of the form:
> t2 = (x ? y : z)
> gets translated to gimple as an if-else statement, with "x" being condition,
> "y" being then-statement, and "z" being else-statement.
> So I guess we need to handle this case specially in genmatch ?
> Or am I mistaken ?

One idea was to also match if-then-else as COND_EXPR (something
to explore later), but you can also see COND_EXPRs in the GIMPLE IL,
for example they are created by if-conversion which runs before
vectorization.  But as above, it's difficult to create a testcase to
match on a forwprop transform (those patterns are more likely to
match from the various passes code-generation which need to be
updated to use the gimple_build interface provided on the breanch).

As of the if-then-else idea, for example

int foo (int x)
{
  return x ? 3 : 5;
}

is seen as

  <bb 2>:
  if (x_2(D) != 0)
    goto <bb 4>;
  else
    goto <bb 3>;

  <bb 3>:

  <bb 4>:
  # iftmp_1 = PHI <1(2), 0(3)>
  return iftmp_1;

in GIMPLE SSA form.  Thus the COND_EXPR is translated
to a PHI node and a controling predicate.

But as said, I'd say we should defer this to a later stage if
time permits.

> * I added few patterns from TODO list in match.pd. I am
> not sure how to write pattern for the following transform:
> (T) (P + A) - (T) P -> (T) A

This tries to match C pointer difference GIMPLE which is carried
out using integer types.  You'd write sth like

(match_and_simplify
  (minus (convert (pointer_plus @0 @1))
             (convert @0))
  (convert @1))

where a few issues show up.

First, in GIMPLE we can
have both NOP_EXPR and CONVERT_EXPR which mean the
same (and are generally tested with CONVERT_EXRP_P).
So the in the patterns we should prefer one of both (I'd say
convert) but the code generator has to match both (actually
NOP_EXPR appears way more often).

Second, for the simplified pattern we generate a convert - but
generally we'd want to supply a type to convert to (the current
code will simply pick the type of the original expression which
is the correct one in this case).  So for other cases I would
expect we'd need to write

(match_and_simplify
  (minus (convert@2 (pointer_plus @0 @1))
             (convert @0))
  { fold_convert (TREE_TYPE (@2), @1); })

thus use C code because there isn't (yet) a way to specify a
type for a to generate expression.  I don't expect this to
show up very often and thus I didn't look after a syntax
to specify types for expression generation or matching
as there exists a workaround (by using C expressions for
the generation part and an appropriate if-expression for the
matching part).

> * ICE for transform sqrt (x * x) -> x
> The following pattern results in ICE (gimple-match-head.c:546)
> (match_and_simplify
>   (built_in_sqrt (mult @0 @0))
>   @0)
>
> I triggered the pattern with this test-case:
> double foo(double x)
> {
>   double t1, t2;
>   t1 = x * x;
>   t2 = sqrt (t1);
>   return t2;
> }
>
> This happens because the following assert fails in
> bool gimple_match_and_simplify (gimple_stmt_iterator *gsi, tree
> (*valueize)(tree)): line 546:
> gcc_assert (gimple_seq_singleton_p (tail));
>
> I guess that happens because for the above pattern
> maybe_push_res_to_seq() returns ops[0], and tail remains NULL.
>
> if (TREE_CODE_LENGTH ((tree_code) rcode) == 0
>    && is_gimple_val (ops[0]))
>      return ops[0];
>
> Unfortunately, I couldn't find a fix.

Ah, at this point we have a call which we'd like to replace with
a SSA name result.  But maybe_push_res_to_seq only pushes
if necessary (and for an SSA name or a constant it is not so),
but here it's always necessary.

> I have a couple of questions regarding gimple-match-head.c
>
> a) Why do we return if the above condition is true ?
> I mean why don't we want gimple_build_assign_with_ops to be called
> if that's true ?

Because in all other callers this results in more optimal code.

> Removing that condition in maybe_push_res_to_seq or calling
> gimple_build_assign_with_ops (rcode, lhs, ops[0], NULL_TREE, NULL_TREE,
>                                              NULL_TREE);
> from gimple_match_and_simplify (if maybe_push_res_to_seq returns ops[0]),
> resulted in verify_ssa failed: missing definition.

Yeah, I have a fix for that as well.  The call handling code is pretty
new and likely needs some fixes.  I'll be available to fix up the
details there (they can be tricky).

Fix in svn now, btw.

> b) In
> static bool
> gimple_match_and_simplify (gimple stmt,
>                            code_helper *rcode, tree *ops,
>                            gimple_seq *seq, tree (*valueize)(tree))
>
> why do we return false by default (line 491), if number of args is
> greater than 1 ?

Because I didn't implement support for that yet ;)  Support for
two arguments is the case 1 cut&pasted and all code handling
arg1 duplicated for arg2 as well (and the call to
gimple_match_and_simplify gets an additional argument).
Not sure if the code generation part is in place yet though.

As said above - call handling was written quickly and only late.

I'll see to add the two-argument case.

I'll review the testcase patch separately.

Thanks,
Richard.