Re: Request for discussion: Rewrite of inline assembler docs

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:07:21AM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Over the years there has been a great deal of traffic on these lists
> caused by misunderstandings of GCC's inline assembler.  That's partly
> because it's inherently tricky, but the existing documentation needs
> to be improved.
>
> dw <limegreensocks@yahoo.com> has done a fairly thorough reworking of
> the documentation.  I've helped a bit.
>
> Section 6.41 of the GCC manual has been rewritten.  It has become:
>
> 6.41 How to Use Inline Assembly Language in C Code
> 6.41.1 Basic Asm - Assembler Instructions with No Operands
> 6.41.2 Extended Asm - Assembler Instructions with C Expression Operands
>
> We could simply post the patch to GCC-patches and have at it, but I
> think it's better to discuss the document here first.  You can read it
> at

This documentation looks like a huge improvement.

As the discussion here seems to have stalled, perhaps it is time to propose
the patch to gcc-patches?

I'm certainly keen to see this make it to trunk, the increase in clarity
is substantial.

Thanks,
James