This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: debug strings output order is arbitrary
- From: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- To: Martin Uecker <uecker at eecs dot berkeley dot edu>
- Cc: GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 09:44:53 +0100
- Subject: Re: debug strings output order is arbitrary
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140315195827 dot 340527e6 at lemur>
On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM, Martin Uecker <email@example.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
> the strings in the ".debug_str" section are output
> in an arbitrary order. Could this be changed?
> The function 'output_indirect_strings' in 'gcc/dwarf2out.c'
> uses htab_traverse which then outputs the string in the
> order they appear in the hash table. Instead, it would
> be nicer to output them based on their labels (which are
> assigned based on the order of creation).
> This would minimize differences between builds with
> slightly different build environments, e.g. directory.
Can you propose a patch? Note that at creation time only
the string itself is known, so sorting after the string may
be another possibility.