Re: Request for discussion: Rewrite of inline assembler docs

On 27/02/14 11:07, Andrew Haley wrote:
Over the years there has been a great deal of traffic on these lists
caused by misunderstandings of GCC's inline assembler.  That's partly
because it's inherently tricky, but the existing documentation needs
to be improved.

dw <limegreensocks@yahoo.com> has done a fairly thorough reworking of
the documentation.  I've helped a bit.

Section 6.41 of the GCC manual has been rewritten.  It has become:

6.41 How to Use Inline Assembly Language in C Code
6.41.1 Basic Asm - Assembler Instructions with No Operands
6.41.2 Extended Asm - Assembler Instructions with C Expression Operands

We could simply post the patch to GCC-patches and have at it, but I
think it's better to discuss the document here first.  You can read it
at

http://www.LimeGreenSocks.com/gcc/Basic-Asm.html
http://www.LimeGreenSocks.com/gcc/Extended-Asm.html
http://www.LimeGreenSocks.com/gcc/extend04.zip (contains .texi, .patch,
and affected html pages)

All comments are very welcome.
Hi Andrew, dw,

Thanks for doing this!

In the Extended Asm documentation: Other format strings section:
"'%=' outputs a number that is unique to each instruction in the entire compilation."

I find the term 'instruction' to be confusing here. From what I understand the number is unique to each asm statement, which may contain multiple assembly instructions. IMHO it would be clearer to say "unique to each asm statement"

Kyrill

Andrew.