Re: Is C++11 to be default for GCC 4.9?

On 01/26/2014 05:17 PM, Richard Sandiford wrote:
Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@inria.fr> writes:
I got an error that implies that "auto" is not usable, which would
mean that C++11 is not enabled, but I also got a warning that implied
that gnu++11 is "enabled by default".

error: âxdirâ does not name a type

warning: non-static data member initializers only available with
-std=c++11 or -std=gnu++11 [enabled by default]

Or does the "enabled by default" bit mean something other than I think
it means?

It is the warning that is enabled by default (in other messages you would
see [-Wunused] or [-Wformat] etc to tell you which option controls this
warning).

I can definitely sympathise with reading the message the other way though.
If that's the only output you see, the natural assumption is that the
"enabled by default" applies to the thing just before it.

Any objections to changing it to "this warning is enabled by default"
or "warning enabled by default"?  Or is that too verbose?

We should show the flag that enables the warning, so that users can use the -Wno- variant to disable it if they want. Or does "enabled by default" mean that no such -Wno- flag exists?