Re: clang and FSF's strategy

On Jan 21, 2014, esr@thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) wrote:

> I think it is time to question whether the anti-plugins policy is
> still the best way to accomplish this.

Err...  Excuse me, but what anti-plugins policy are you talking about?

The runtime license exception designed to make room for GCC plugins
without endangering its copyleft is almost 5 years old!

Did you feel so aligned with clang's FSF-disparaging propaganda that you
failed to check the facts, or are you being intentionally specious?

That GCC plugin interface is not sufficiently stable for major
uncoordinated developments by third-parties is just as true as that
Linux's module interface is constantly changing, and complaints about
its lack of stability in it are often responded with such phrases as
âcontribute your driver and we'll even help you keep it up-to-dateâ.

If you were to applaud one while voicing objections to the other,
someone might even get the idea you're using double standards ;-)

Free Software Evangelist     Red Hat Brazil Toolchain Engineer