Re: Enable -Wreturn-type by default ?

Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> a Ãcrit:

> I would like to propose the activation by default of -Wreturn-type.
>
> The main objective would to provide a warning for such code:
>
> int foo() {
> 	return;
> }
>
> For now, it is only enabled when we have -Wall:
> $ gcc -c foo.c
> $ gcc -Wall -c foo.c
> foo.c: In function âfooâ:
> foo.c:2:2: warning: âreturnâ with no value, in function returning
> non-void [-Wreturn-type]

I am wondering why this warning hasn't been activated by default in the
first place, for C++ at least?

Note that using g++ to compile the example above with -std=c++98 yields:

    foo.c:2:2: error: return-statement with no value, in function returning âintâ [-fpermissive]

So what do we gain from not emitting that warning by default there?

For C, I am not sure about, but I'd find it useful to have that warning
enabled there too, so I guess I'd like to hear why the warning wasn't
enabled there by default there as well.

Cheers.

--
		Dodji