Re: Great example of why "everything is a tree" sucks

On 11/13/13 11:30, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Gaius Mulley wrote:

just for completeness this also applies to Modula-2 which uses the
technique of double book keeping.  Not sure if this is totally relevant
but gm2 needs (would like :-) the ability to create a SET_TYPE which
maps onto appropriate debugging type info.

Note we removed SET_TYPE in 2004 for lack of in-tree uses (there was a
suspicion it might have been for Pascal, but GNU Pascal is now a moribund
project (largely I think because of the combination of (a) being closely
tied to GCC internals through use of trees as front-end internal
representation and (b) not being developed in the GCC repository but
externally with attempts to support multiple GCC versions from one GNU
Pascal version, meaning lots of effort needed outside the GCC community to
update it to new GCC versions - also (c) there's another more actively
developed GPL Pascal compiler, Free Pascal, albeit for different versions
of the Pascal language).

In general, for GCC development to consider requirements of your front end
or back end, getting it into the GCC repository and developing it there is
strongly recommended.
Sadly, I tried multiple times in the late 90s to bring the folks going GNU Pascal development into the GCC project without any success. Eventually I have up.

jeff