Re: Great example of why "everything is a tree" sucks

Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Steven Bosscher <stevenb.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
>>> Well, he doesn't even consider that the exact same "tree rant" applies
>>> to frontend code.
>>
>> That's not entirely true, either. Most front ends already use their
>> own IL in the parser (only C++ uses 'tree' for everything).
>>
>> What worries me most, is that we may end up with:
>>
>> FE-IL => 'tree' => gimple
>>
>> where 'tree' is just a memory-consuming, complicated intermediate step
>> between the front ends and the middle end. I don't think that's the
>> interface we want.
>
> True.  The above applies to Fortran and Ada, and maybe also to Go
> and Java.

just for completeness this also applies to Modula-2 which uses the
technique of double book keeping.  Not sure if this is totally relevant
but gm2 needs (would like :-) the ability to create a SET_TYPE which
maps onto appropriate debugging type info.

regards,
Gaius