This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] Replace Java with Go in default languages
- From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- To: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Andrew Haley <aph at redhat dot com>, Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu dot com>, Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, Alec Teal <a dot teal at warwick dot ac dot uk>, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 14:22:23 +0100
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Replace Java with Go in default languages
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5280AC24 dot 4000002 at redhat dot com> <52814BCF dot 8080401 at ubuntu dot com> <CAFiYyc2YrpzVtOncgdGX3QGuc0m7UXYu6pzV3sSh=z46V3heUA at mail dot gmail dot com> <52836163 dot 8000703 at redhat dot com> <CAFiYyc0ORq66TA4QZSH-g9GZiAPj_T7CNVA04-C0DVcaq9bKXg at mail dot gmail dot com> <528367EA dot 5000703 at redhat dot com> <CAFiYyc3gy_Q_5wqVcukaHmDK28DtDMV8q-r4V5SQfVB29SOzWg at mail dot gmail dot com> <528375C6 dot 5040202 at redhat dot com> <CAFiYyc1AfdRJnoqnq0XOhVRC_8fQobNH7ddno-nxCNzk=H2XRQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAFiYyc29rWrgXGeVq8tkXkk68QfzXGi+b3gnYzO17ZmxiM1PRg at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 02:01:52PM +0100, Richard Biener wrote:
> >> Really? Wouldn't it make more sense for people to check out what they
> >> need? Is this a mayor issue?
> > It was one of the major complaints we received when dropping the
> > split of the distributed tarballs, that is, no more gcc-core-4.8.2.tar.bz2.
> > libjava is roughly half of the whole source tarball ...
> Err, miscounted ;) It's roughly half of the size of the gcc/ subdirectory.
Well, for the size it might help stop including all the precompiled *.class/*.jar
files in the repository, that is roughly half of libjava/, and only
configuring java if everything is there to set up building the class files
from source. We are doing that for years on redhat branches (with the main
intent to avoid just relying on binary blobs, but size reduction is a nice
I think all the prebuilt binary blobs (and generated headers) were added
because java was an --enable-languages=all language and the maintainers
didn't want to add burden of other prerequisities. But, if we make it that
java will not be configured unless you have those prerequisities, I don't
see why we would need to include those. For cross-compilers of course
one will need the ecj jar file (target independent) and some java
interpreter around, but it will be needed on the build box.