Re: Great example of why "everything is a tree" sucks

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
> Well, he doesn't even consider that the exact same "tree rant" applies
> to frontend code.

That's not entirely true, either. Most front ends already use their
own IL in the parser (only C++ uses 'tree' for everything).

What worries me most, is that we may end up with:

FE-IL => 'tree' => gimple

where 'tree' is just a memory-consuming, complicated intermediate step
between the front ends and the middle end. I don't think that's the
interface we want.

Really the best place to start IMHO would be to evict 'tree' from the
front ends. That would really be a step towards making the front ends
independent of the rest of the compiler, and it would simplify changes
towards static 'tree' types.

Ciao!
Steven