Re: [RFC] Replace Java with Go in default languages

On 11/12/13 01:27, Eric Botcazou wrote:
 From what I can see, bootstrapping with Ada is slower than bootstapping
with Java, by around 15%.  Again this is on one of my slower boxes, but
the results clearly show building Ada & its runtime takes a considerable
amount of time:

default languages:    67 minutes
default - java:       51 minutes
default - java + go:  56 minutes
default - java + ada: 77 minutes

[...]

Hard to justify switching from Java to Ada given those results if one of
the key goals is to reduce waiting time.

The same discussion took place 3 years ago:
   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2010-10/msg00506.html
with the Ada vs Java part:
   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2010-11/msg00451.html
including some numbers:
   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2010-11/msg00452.html
:-)

Thanks for the pointer, I vaguely recall that iteration of the discussion, but got lost following the 2008 thread.

Jeff