This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] Replace Java with Go in default languages
- From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:19:46 +0100
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Replace Java with Go in default languages
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <527D63DB dot 3090801 at redhat dot com> <2656131 dot o0VcndHLvS at polaris> <5281BEDD dot 9060203 at redhat dot com>
> From what I can see, bootstrapping with Ada is slower than bootstapping
> with Java, by around 15%. Again this is on one of my slower boxes, but
> the results clearly show building Ada & its runtime takes a considerable
> amount of time:
> default languages: 67 minutes
> default - java: 51 minutes
> default - java + go: 56 minutes
> default - java + ada: 77 minutes
With what checking options? Weird, on my not so fast x86-64 machine, the 3rd
item takes 40 min and the 4th 42 min with yes,rtl checking, so a difference of
21 min on yours is unexpected.
> Some of this might be building Ada and its runtime during all three
> stages. Contrast to Java which builds the front-end during
> stage2/stage3 and the runtime just in stage3.
The Ada runtime is only built during stage3 too.
> Hard to justify switching from Java to Ada given those results if one of
> the key goals is to reduce waiting time.
If everyone has the same figures as you, I cannot disagree.