Fwd: question about register pairs

>From the discussion on gcc-patches - I wonder how far should the port go
here to paper over basic brokenness in gcc to handle multi-hard-register
pointers.

On 25 October 2013 13:35, Joern Rennecke <joern.rennecke@embecosm.com> wrote:

> Well, it's not really a lie if you map hardware registers 22 and 23 to
> a single register for the purposes of gcc internals.  Although it
> does make some other things more awkward, e.g. when you
> copy fp, and this gets split so you have an insn that copies the
> highpart of fp to another register.

As an aside, I wonder how much it'd take to make gcc properly
handle multi-register stack/frame/arg pointers.
Do we also have issues with this and static frame pointers?

Should we have REG_INC notes for each hard register affected,
or should HARD_REGNO_NREGS of the reg inside been taken
into account?  Maybe with some info stashed in the mode of the
note to speed things up?