Re: fatal error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file

On 07/30/2013 05:50 AM, David Starner wrote:
> Sorry about the blank message; I accidentally hit the wrong button.
>
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>> It was "This is possible, but it's tricky, and it's really important
>> to get it right.  We don't want a half-arsed patch."
>
> We've all seen cases where a quick patch is rejected in favor of a
> hypothetical patch, and years down the road, the program still has the
> problem. The people who blocked the quick patch, naturally, never
> bothered trying to write the patch they wanted.

This is true.  It is a real problem.

However, it's up to the proposer to propose something that works
for everyone.  No-one would object to a decent diagnostic.

>> That's a mistranslation.  It means that there are other criteria
>> beyond some people having trouble.  Such as, we really want multilibs
>> to be built.
>
> Who is we here? And why do you really want multilibs built?

"We" is the GCC community.  "We" really want multilibs to be built so
they get tested as much as possible.  It's in the best interest of
all GCC users that this happens.

>>> I think you should detect the issue as *soon as practical* and then
>>> *ALWAYS* emit a message that *TELLS THE USER WHAT TO DO*.
>>
>> Yes!  Yes!  Yes!
>
> Then what are we going to do about it? As per my first comment, nobody
> has offered to produce a patch in the form you would be happy with, so
> I'm not going to hold my breath that it's going to appear.

So don't write one.  Then you're likely to be proved right.

Andrew.