Re: fatal error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> I would just install GCC's build dependencies and build with the
> defaults.

I'm glad you have infinite hard-drive space. I rather wish fewer
developers did, as well as those infinitely fast computers they seem
to have; perhaps they would have more empathy with my day-to-day
computing needs.

> There is no resistance whatsoever to making it work with real systems
> and real workloads.

Yes, there is. Both in this thread, and on bugzilla, people with real
systems, in my case a well-stocked development system, have said they
started compiling gcc and after hours the compile has failed without
even an explanation, and people have shrugged, and said what do you
want us to do about it? If a feature causes failure on real systems
like that, then disabling it by default, even if it's used by a
significant minority of users, should be considered. Yes, it would be
better to leave multilibs on and give people building without 32-bit
libraries a proper error message up front, but leaving it as is is not
making it work with real systems; it's causing real people to pull
their hair out or give up on trying to build GCC.

--
Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.