Re: fatal error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file

On 07/24/2013 09:35 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 07/24/2013 10:17 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 07/24/2013 01:48 AM, David Starner wrote:
>>> I'd like to mention that I too was bit by this one on Debian. I don't
>>> have a 32-bit development environment installed; why would I? I'm
>>> building primarily for myself, and if I did have to target a 32-bit
>>> environment, I'd likely have to mess with more stuff then just the
>>> compiler.
>>
>> No, you probably wouldn't.  Just use -m32 and you'd be fine.
>
> No, that doesn't work.  The glibc development environment on
> Debian/amd64 does not contain the 32-bit header files, and that's where
> the error message comes from.

Well, of course.  It's a prerequisite for building GCC.  I presume that
Debian has the same abilities as Fedora, where if you want to build GCC
you just type

  yum-builddep gcc

and Fedora installs all the build reqs for GCC.

> I don't think that's easy to change because of the way dpkg handles file
> conflicts (even if the files are identical) and how true multi-arch
> support is implemented in Debian.

But hold on: if I just wanted to compile C programs I'd use the system's
C compiler.  Anyone building GCC for themself has a reason for doing so.

Andrew.