Re: [RFC / musing] Scoped exception handling in Linux userspace?

On Jul 19, 2013, at 2:26 AM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> Windows has a feature that I've wanted on Linux forever: stack-based
> (i.e. scoped) exception handling.  The upshot is that you can do,
> roughly, this (pseudocode):

[...]

Indeed Windows and OpenVMS have such a mechanism. That's clean and
library friendly, but please read:
https://www.usenix.org/conference/wiess-2000/c-exception-handling-ia64
to understand how it hurts optimization.

(And no, raising an exception from an handler doesn't always work,
 due to optimizations allowed by the gcc exception mechanism).

Regards,
Tristan.