Re: -fPIC -fPIE

On 13/11/12 14:56, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Currently -fPIC -fPIE seems to be the same as -fPIE.  Unfortunately,
-fPIE -fPIC also seems to be the same as -fPIE.  It seems to me that,
as is usual with conflicting options, we should use the one that
appears last on the command line.

Do we have an existing mechanism in options processing for one option
to turn off another, where the options are not exact inverses?  I
looked for one but I didn't see one.  There is support for that for
options with the Mask property, but I don't see it for non-target
options.

Ian

pic and pie are mostly the same, but the pre-emption rules are different. For fpie we don't have to permit pre-emption of global definitions.

I hope we don't loose that distinction.

R.