Re: Endless "declared 'static' but never defined" warnings with stage 2 & 3 compilers

On 2012-07-01, at 12:53 PM, Vincent Rivière wrote:

> On 01/07/2012 16:16, t-rexky wrote:
>> I discovered that if I rebuild stage 3 with BOOT_CFLAGS="-g -O0", the
>> warnings in stage 3 compiler all disappear!
>
> This is extremely wierd!
>
> So it looks like something is affected by the optimization level. Usually, it is an uninitialized variable, buffer overflow, strict aliasing issue, or maybe a GCC bug...
>
> Since it is unlikely that this specific bug is in the standard GCC sources (other people would have noticed), maybe it could be somewhere in the C sources added for your NeXT configuration?

I am also certain that this is somehow related to my configuration so I reviewed my target config files once again but there
was nothing obvious staring back at me.

At one point I thought that there was an issue with the TARGET_ASM_SELECT_SECTION function that I pulled in from gcc-3.2.3,
so I completely rewrote it using the Darwin version from gcc-4.2.4 (conveniently Darwin is almost identical to NEXTSTEP minus some new features like weak support, coalesced sections, etc).  I spent the last week fiddling with this due to the length of the
bootstrap process on the 68040, but unfortunately to no avail...

I might have no choice but to get a newer gdb version going if I do not find anything else...

t-rexky