Re: C++ Expression Template Benchmarks for GCC/Clang/Intel/PGI/MSVC

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Walter Landry <wlandry@caltech.edu> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I thought you might be interested in some C++ expression template
> benchmarks I have done.
>
> ?http://www.wlandry.net/Projects/FTensor#Benchmarks
>
> I found that GCC optimized the expression template code better than
> unrolling expressions by hand. ?In fact, GCC was far, far better at
> optimizing code with expression templates than any other compiler. ?I
> ran the same benchmarks back in 2003, and GCC has improved quite a lot
> since then.

Heh, yeah - quite possibly because I myself was working with a POOMA
based CFD code during my PhD which made me start working on inproving
GCC for expression template code ;)  It is btw interesting to try to enable
profile-feedback for the compilers - for some compilers you'll see that
the profile-generating executables are so slow as to be unusable (as they
seem to keep all calls of the expression templates).

Thanks,
Richard.