This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: C++ Expression Template Benchmarks for GCC/Clang/Intel/PGI/MSVC
- From: Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- To: Walter Landry <wlandry at caltech dot edu>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:09:38 +0200
- Subject: Re: C++ Expression Template Benchmarks for GCC/Clang/Intel/PGI/MSVC
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Walter Landry <email@example.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> I thought you might be interested in some C++ expression template
> benchmarks I have done.
> I found that GCC optimized the expression template code better than
> unrolling expressions by hand. ?In fact, GCC was far, far better at
> optimizing code with expression templates than any other compiler. ?I
> ran the same benchmarks back in 2003, and GCC has improved quite a lot
> since then.
Heh, yeah - quite possibly because I myself was working with a POOMA
based CFD code during my PhD which made me start working on inproving
GCC for expression template code ;) It is btw interesting to try to enable
profile-feedback for the compilers - for some compilers you'll see that
the profile-generating executables are so slow as to be unusable (as they
seem to keep all calls of the expression templates).
> Walter Landry