Re: [RFH] Uses of output.h in the front ends

Hi Steven,

On 5 Jun 2012, at 21:23, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Iain Sandoe <iain@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>> I would welcome a simple solution if one is available, although I don't quite see what you have in mind at present.
>
> This is what I have in mind. Untested, but it shows the idea. What do
> you think of this?

Thanks, it looks like a good compromise given the small number of targets using it.

Just for the record, the NeXT ObjC runtime is open sourced, and could be ported to a non-Darwin target (as long as it has named sections) -  I do recall Nicola made the comment that it would be harder for targets other than x86/PPC since there is some asm in the message forwarding scheme.

===

As for your patch, I've moved stuff around a bit and fixed up a couple of typos (notes below), but retained your scheme (hopefully as you intended).

The attached patch survives normal and lto bootstrap on i686-darwin9 and x86_64-darwin10.
No regressions for ObjC or Obj-C++.
Otherwise, lightly tested, but appears to solve PR 48109 on the way.

changes:

 o [minor] typo fixes and some changes to the comments, minor adjustments to make the asm indents match with other code.

 o  I moved the functions to config/darwin-c.c (I suspect that's what you originally intended, from the comments).

 o I made two (c-family) target hooks instead of generating new target macros -
     side benefits of this are:
      (i) that we can also remove tm.h from objc-next-runtime-abi-01.c
      (ii) we don't end up with dead code pathways on non-darwin builds.
      (iii) the actual implementation of the defs/refs is now private to Darwin.

if you think this good to go - given that Mike has already commented, then I guess we should move it to Patches for review.

thanks for the idea!
Iain