Re: How do I set SIG_ATOMIC_TYPE to a variant of a C-type?

On Tue, 15 May 2012, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

> How do I accomplish setting SIG_ATOMIC_TYPE as above?

GCC only needs to know this type for the purposes of defining limits for
stdint.h.  Unless your signal.h does

typedef __SIG_ATOMIC_TYPE__ sig_atomic_t;

this should only affect the testcases gcc.dg/c99-stdint-[56].c, not actual
user code.  And as you have discovered, there are rules for these type
strings documented in tm.texi under SIZE_TYPE; to use some other variant
you'll need to find and eliminate all the dependencies on whatever rule
you wish to change.

Logically these macros should be hooks returning enumeration values from a
defined set of possible types, not strings at all.  See past discussions
with Joern, e.g. <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2010-11/msg02900.html>
and <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2010-12/msg00964.html>.

--
Joseph S. Myers