Re: Deprecate 32-bits HP-PA for GCC 4.8?

On 5/7/2012 2:29 PM, Jeff Law wrote:
On 05/07/2012 12:25 PM, John David Anglin wrote:

There is also a 32-bit netbsd port that a limited number of users are
still using.
Do you know if they're using the open-sourced SOM linker or the 32 bit ELF stuff?
ELF.

PA linux runs on both PA 1.1 and 2.0 machines. The runtime is 32-bit.
Kernels can be either 32-bit or 64-bit.
This argues that we need to keep the PA1.1 support.
We need to keep 32-bit support and I believe that we need to keep 32-bit
HP-UX support.

The maintenance problems that occur are usually not related to the code
generation.  They largely occur because the target is big endian, strict
alignment, callee copies, etc.  The delayed branch support has caused
many subtle bugs.  For this reason, I don't think simplifying the backend
will help much.

Dave

--
John David Anglin    dave.anglin@bell.net