Re: Announce - Thread safety annotations no longer supported in GCC

Diego is right.  Clang maintains an accurate C++ AST, and then layers
additional data structures, like the control flow graph, on top of
that, so you don't get the same kind of lowering artifacts that have
plagued the gcc implementation of annotalysis.  That architecture
makes Clang a much better platform for static analysis.

However, I want to point out that Gimple is actually designed pretty
well, especially considering the fact that it was never intended to be
a source code analysis framework.  Certain parts of our analysis were
much easier to do in Gimple than in Clang, because we could leverage
the work of previous transformations (e.g. lowering to SSA).  However,
those same transformations made some other parts of the analysis
nearly impossible.  There is no such thing as a perfect intermediate
language that will satisfy everyone.

  -DeLesley

considering that Gimple was never intended to be a source code analysis

--
DeLesley Hutchins | Software Engineer | delesley@google.com | 505-206-0315