Re: Updated GCC vs Clang diagnostics

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:

> I personally think it would be an excellent idea. ?Even clang's C++
> error messages can be long. ?A simple use of color is an excellent way
> to draw the eye to the more important parts of the message. ?If the
> color is not available, then it doesn't help, but the error message can
> be understood without it.

I would expect that an implementation in this  direction would transform

     error ("there is no operator %E with arguments %T and %T", foo, bar, baz)

into an internal IL rich enough to represent formatting directives
(and "2D" representation) independent of the actual rendering device's
capabilities.
It would then be up to each output device to display the diagnostics based on
their own characteristics (color or not, caret or not, pointing the cursor back
to the source file or not).  And indeed, it would be really terrible idea if the
intelligibility of a diagnostic -requires- colors.

-- Gaby