Re: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8

Torvald Riegel wrote:
On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 11:24 +0200, Richard Guenther wrote:
>  Honestly I care 1000 times more for existing GCC developers.  Before
>  new programmers will have an easier time with GCC_existing_  GCC
>  developers will have to spend at least two GCC release cycles (that's
>  very optimistic) turning the GCC codebase upside-down.  Every
>  existing GCC developer you lose on that way will slow down that
>  process and for every existing GCC developer you probably need more
>  that one "new" GCC developer starting.
>
>  It's very easy for me to do the math and conclude that losing even_one_
>  experienced existing GCC developer makes this whole transition-to-C++
>  thing a non-starter.
I agree that less work-force in the transition would be a problem.  But
is C++ (perceived to be) so bad that it would make people change their
jobs?  I mean, we're not talking about the experienced hobbyists here,
or are we?

I hope we are! At least GCC's Fortran front end is mostly developed by experienced hobbyist - and I know some who do not want to learn C++ to be able to continue with the project. However, I have some confidence that the changes will be such that no developer will give up.

In any case, the gfortran front end cannot really afford to loose developers, given that it is a hobbyist* project and given that attracting new developers is difficult.

Tobias

* In terms of the development; I assume that those who use it for embedded systems or on the top500 supercomputers, at aircraft manufactures, weather services or for academic research get paid. ;-)