Re: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8

On 11 April 2012 13:57, Torvald Riegel wrote:
> Now, how many release cycles do we have until LLVM is basically good
> enough to be used as a distro compiler (e.g., until code quality and
> confidence in bug freedom is sufficiently similar)? ?If we haven't
> ensured that GCC is appealing by this time, why should new programmers
> then start considering GCC and not just go by default to LLVM?

Well it would need a C++ standard library that works on GNU/Linux
first, unless distros want to rely on a compiler+stdlib combination
that isn't supported by either the compiler vendor or the stdlib
vendor.  Not many distros have their own libstdc++ developers and
although I think it's good that libstdc++ works with clang, supporting
it is not high on my priority list.