Re: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8

On 4/10/12 12:42 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Jakub Jelinek<jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
What is the root cause of the annoyance? Mixing macros and inline
functions does not sound good, but using deeply nested macros do not
seem to help the debugging situation either.

That when stepping through code in the debugger you keep enterring/exiting these one liner inlines, most of them really should be at least by default considered just as normal statements (e.g. glibc heavily uses artificial attribute for those, still gdb doesn't hide those by default).

so, this is a good candidate for PR to fill against GDB then? It sounds like it would beneficial not just to GCC but to a broader community.

Yes, I think there is a bug against gdb already and, in fact, I remember seeing an implementation of some new gdb functionality that would help here.

Tom, I'm thinking of that patch on black listing functions. There was also the idea of a command that would only step in the outermost function call of an expression.

My memory is hazy, but I know there is some work going on in this area.

Diego.