Re: RFC: -Wall by default

On 04/05/2012 03:21 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

>>> Sometimes, we have to be brave to challenge tradition.  The world around
>>> us is moving and we definitely want GCC to remain competitive.  It is
>>> hard to define what "it's told" means without tripping over.
>>
>> I'm finding it hard to understand why "-Wall by default" makes gcc more
>> competitive.
>
> the competitors are enabling these kinds of warnings by default.

The argument is that we should enable the warnings by default because
it makes gcc more competitive.  But that only makes gcc more
competitive if enabling these kinds of warnings by default is an
advantage.  However, we haven't established that -Wall by default is
advantageous.

Surely this is the fallacy of circular reasoning: you're assuming your
conclusion.

> Furthermore, telling users that they just have to turn these simple
> switches -- when we are busy adding more at every release -- isn't
> convincing.

Why not?  You want Wall, so "-Wall".

Andrew.